Point Of No Return
We’ve all been there: the point of no return. Sometimes it’s set in motion by circumstances outside our control and at other times, we initiate. Whether it happened in a flash or played out over several years, one thing is certain: the world as we know it has shifted.
What ideas, perspectives and innovations were uncovered and how are they shaping our lives? The theme of TEDxOlympia 2015 was Point of No Return. Our talks and performances explored what unfolds when we realize there’s no turning back—and the surprises we discover before, during and after that threshold. Over 900 people joined us for a full day of ideas, performances and connection. Thank you for sharing this inspiring community experience!
TEDxOlympia 2015 talks and performances available online. Enjoy and share!
Point Of No Return Program
- Date: Saturday, September 12, 2015
- Venue: The Washington Center for the Performing Arts Main Stage (map)
- Time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- DOORS OPEN: 9:00
SESSION 1: inquiry | 10:10 – 11:30
- Max Brown | What are you willing to give up?
- Daniel Cherniske | Aquaponics: Maintaining our Ecosystems and Inspiring Change
- Diane Whalen | Stepping Forward into Priesthood
- Madeline Poultridge | How to Talk to Your Dad: Turning Conflict into Conversation
- Margaret Heffernan | Dare to Disagree (Pre-recorded TED Talk)
- Debbie Lacy | In Search of Purpose and Lunch
LUNCH BREAK | 11:30 – 1:30
SESSION 2: suspension | 1:30 – 3:00
- Sara Sparrow | Wee Small (An Excerpt)
- Chris Maynard | A World in a Feather
- Alice Goffman | How We're Priming Some Kids for College... and Others for Prison (Pre-recorded TED Talk)
- Zachary Johnson, Chuck e. Costa + Mira Stanley | Waiting (Video)
- Michael B. Maine | Between the Frames
- Mark Bezos | Life Lesson from a Volunteer Firefighter (Pre-recorded TED Talk)
- Russell Kolts | Anger, Compassion, and What It Means to be Strong
INTERMISSION | 3:00 – 3:30
SESSION 3: velocity | 3:30 – 4:35
- Maggie Neatherlin & Her One-Man Orchestra | Original and Traditional Tunes
- Lorne Resnick | Cuba: This Moment, Exactly So (Video)
- Meg Martin | Screen Them In
- Keith Edgerton | The Gift
- Stacy Flynn | Clothing Will Save Us
CONNECT WITH SPEAKERS + PERFORMERS | 4:35 - 4:50
RECEPTION | 5:00 – 6:30
Real Time Captioning: We offered RTC for attendees with hearing loss. The web-based service was accessible with a Smartphone, tablet or laptop.
Photography & Video Release: By attending TEDxOlympia, participants grant TEDxOlympia permission to the rights of their image, likeness and recorded voice without payment or consideration. Participant images may be edited, copied, exhibited, published or distributed for a variety of purposes and in a variety of media. Participants waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product and any royalties or other compensation. Participants must understand that there is no time limit on the validity of this release, nor are there any geographic limitations on where these materials may be distributed.
Super Hero Photo: Ricky Osborne